Ten Fun Ways to Teach Kids About Color
Color recognition is an important skill for young children to master and what better way to teach this vital skill than with hands-on learning. There are many ways to teach children about color but we’ve narrowed down the list to ten of our favorite methods. From playdough to books and fizzy tablets, we have lots of fun to share with you!
Affiliate links have been included for your convenience. Please see our full disclosure if you’d like more information.
- Playdough color mixing. It doesn’t get much better than this! Homemade playdough + our FREE color guide = endless fun and learning.
- Pantone Colors book. This is a really fun book that shows different Pantone colors for each hue.
- Fizzy tablets. Our kids LOVE these! We love using them with our homemade volcanoes to see what color will erupt or what color we can make by combining two tablets together.
- Bees sorting. We love this toy so much, we bought a second set! They’re great for sorting, stacking, and working on fine-motor skills. We also love sorting muffins.
- Rainbow blocks. These will instantly cheer up any space (we love playing with them on a shelf near a window where the sun can illuminate them). The kids love pressing their faces up into these and looking around to see the room in a different color.
- Make your own color wheel from rocks. Frugal, educational, and fun. This is such a fun and hands-on way to learn about color relationships.
- LEGO Duplo color sorting with washi tape. Another fun activity for kids using items you likely already own. Definitely a fun activity for the little ones!
- Paint your own color wheel. If your little one enjoys mixing paint colors, they will love this art activity. They’ll learn about making their own colors while playing – a win win!
- Fish puzzle. This has been one of our absolute favorite puzzles. Great for younger children!
- Color activity sheet. Another fun color activity sheet for kids that will leave them super knowledgeable about color.
What are some of your favorite color activities? Please let us know in the comment section below.
Don't Miss Out!
Subscribe today to be notified of member-only updates + gain instant access to our resource library of FREE printables.
Want more? Be sure to check out some of our other fun activities:
- No-mess paint sticks abstract art (our favorite new craft supply!)
- Lavender playdough recipe
- DIY LEGO Friends Minifigure capes