Orange Volcanoes – A Fun Science Experiment for Kids Using Simple Ingredients
With fall just around the corner, we’ve been busy creating all sorts of fun fall themed activities. Today we’re sharing our orange volcanoes (they’re orange for fall- perfect, right?). With just a few inexpensive supplies, you too can make your own orange volcanoes too. Trust us, the kids will LOVE these! And so will you!
This post may include affiliate links.
What You’ll Need
Measuring glass (to pour vinegar from)
What to Do
- Place your orange on a flat surface.
- Slice the top of the orange off and remove the inside of the orange. We scored the inside of the orange a bit with the knife just to loosen the orange up. Then, scoop the inside of the orange out like you’re removing the insides of a pumpkin you’re about to carve!
- Place your orange in a bowl. Scoop some baking soda into your orange (about a tablespoon).
- Pour some vinegar into a measuring glass (we used a couple cups) and add some food coloring. Mix well.
- Pour the colored vinegar into the orange and watch the fun!
The kids had SO much fun with this! We just kept pouring more vinegar into the orange once the fizzing stopped and were amazed at how long the baking soda lasted.
Related: STEAM Kids Rainbow Diaper Science
Looking for more simple fun educational activities? Be sure to check out our other fun ideas:
What else would you like to see from The Art Kit? Let us know in the comment section below.
We love seeing how we’ve inspired you! Tag us on social media (@theartkit) so we can follow along with the fun. 🙂