Java Programming: Online Course for Teens
Is your teen looking for a 2-semester coding course (for AP purposes or to meet state requirements for graduation)?
This Java programming course is a fantastic option as it meets standards for the AP Computer Science A exam and typical introductory Computer Science I or Computer Programming I courses.
Conveniently offered as an online class, this Java programming class allows students to learn at their own pace.
Please continue reading below to discover our full review of this Java Programming course for teens!
Affiliate links have been included for your convenience. Please see our full disclosure if you’d like more information.
This course does not require any local installation; all “required” hands-on projects can be completed online in a web browser.
The order of topics aligns with the Unit Sequence recommended by the College Board for AP CS A.
All lesson quizzes and chapter tests are auto-graded by their system.
Students will complete hands-on coding projects and then the projects in every required chapter are also auto-graded by their system.
The course consists of 33 chapters and four supplemental chapters.
- Chapter one includes a review of common hardware and software terms and discusses computer ethics and security.
- Chapter two discusses common programming languages and the Java platform. You will write your first Java program and learn how to find online help documentation.
- Chapter three introduces the different types of numeric and character data you can use in your program. You will also learn how to print these data types out to the screen.
- In chapter four you will learn how to perform simple math operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. They will also cover how numbers can be assigned to variables and converted from one data type to another.
- And so on!
My 9 and 11-year-olds both really enjoyed the course. Prior to taking the course, they did not have any experience with Java but they didn’t have a problem picking up what the course taught.
There is also a grade report section that shows the grades received for each lesson.
Each chapter is broken down into multiple lessons – which include a video, text to read, and a quiz – and an exam.
An example of a video lesson:
An example of a text lesson:
I love that the course includes both a video lesson and a text lesson for each section of the course!
The course is very well-organized, laid out well, and easy to navigate!
Java Programming is available to purchase from Timberdoodle. You can purchase items separately or bundled together in curriculum kits. This product is also available to purchase bundled up in Timberdoodle’s eleventh-grade curriculum kit.
We’ve purchased many items from Timberdoodle over the years – they have SO many fun and educational products, oftentimes priced lower than other retailers.
If you aren’t familiar with Timberdoodle, they offer fantastic learning products for babies all the way up to high school students. We have used their curriculum for many years and have been very happy with not only their products but their amazing customer service as well. Not a homeschooling family? That’s fine too! They have an entire shop of products that would make the perfect gift for any child.
Interested in Our Other Timberdoodle Product Reviews?
If you’d like to see additional product reviews for Timberdoodle products, be sure to check out these posts:
- Jump 1 Game Review
- Horse Academy by Smart Games
- Timberdoodle’s Custom Preschool Kit
- Crepe Foam Alphabet Puzzles Set
- Mad Mattr Builder Pack – Teal
- Beadazzled Dough
- Crepe Foam Alphabet Puzzles
- Ultimo Dice Game
- Squishy Soft Over Ball
- Mad Mattr Craftsman
- Junior Rainbow Pebbles
- See all our Timberdoodle Reviews here
If you enjoyed this post, please share it on social media. Or, pin this to save it.
What else would you like to see from The Art Kit? Let us know in the comment section below.
This product was given to us in exchange for a review but as always, our opinions are 100% our own.