Shiller Math and Language Arts Homeschool Curriculum Review
Are you a homeschooling family looking for a fun and exciting new way to teach math or language arts to your children? We’ve used several different programs over the years but are so excited to tell you about our new favorite math and language curriculum from Shiller Math. We love that there is zero lesson preparation, everything needed is included in the kits (including lifetime consumable lesson replacement), and the kids truly LOVE learning the concepts every day and have learned so much already! Read on to discover what else we love about the program as well as countless photos of the included books and material.
Affiliate links have been included for your convenience. Please see our full disclosure if you’d like more information.
When I was first introduced to Shiller Math, I was immediately drawn to the fact that it is a multi-sensory program and was so impressed with how many beautiful and high-quality manipulatives were included. Once I learned that there was literally ZERO lesson preparation, I was sold! There are so many more incredible benefits to ShillerLearning that we are excited to share with you as well but first, let’s take a look at what you will receive in your kits (we will be reviewing the Math Kit I and Language Arts Kit A today).
What’s Included in Shiller Math Kit I (Pre-K – Grade 3)
- Three full-color, wire-bound, lay-flat lesson books with PDF answer guides (we love the lay-flat feature – it makes schoolwork much less frustrating as it is so much easier to write in a lay-flat book than a standard-bound textbook)
- High quality, beautiful manipulatives, including a balance, number cards, number tiles, foam ball, dominoes, a US/metric ruler, wooden shapes, dice, measuring cups, and operator cards
- A full set of Montessori decimal material, including 100 unit cubes, 27 ten rods, 27 hundred rods, and 17 thousand cubes (1 plastic and 16 cardboard) and a wooden decimal tray
- Parent guide, lesson and diagnostic test tracking sheets, and an audio CD with 25 fun and catchy songs that integrate directly with the lessons
- Lifetime consumable replacement license for all children of one generation in the family (an amazing deal!)
If your little ones have a difficult time sitting still while working on schoolwork or aren’t fans of solely writing in workbooks, they will especially love Shiller Math!
Here’s a sneak peek of some of the lessons included in book 1.
As an introduction to tesselation, we worked with the beautiful wooden shapes. There is one lesson per page and everything you need to know to teach the lesson is on that page. You simply follow along and read whatever is in quotes to your student. So easy! If you are unsure of the answer to any of the questions, the entire answer book is available to download on their website (free of charge).
We also worked on identifying shapes and the kids absolutely loved being able to color with crayons while working on their math schoolwork.
Another aspect that I really love about Shiller Math is that at the top of each page, the subject of the lesson is given as well as the objective, which manipulatives will be used, what the learning style is, and if it is consumable.
The included manipulatives were all very well made and definitely richened the learning experience. I also loved that everything we needed was included in the kit. So convenient and time-saving!
What’s Included in the Language Arts Kit A (for Pre-K – Grade 2)
- Four wire-bound lay-flat lesson books covering 2-3 years of language arts
- 28 language arts song downloads that integrate with the lessons
- Mother Goose rhymes
- Grain for small hand letter writing
- 22 in. x 34 in. work mat
- Ten pink and blue Montessori shapes with knobs and matching bases
- Movable alphabet
- Eight large crayons
- Includes free lifetime downloads of lessons and manipulatives
The kids (ages 7, 4, and 16 months) were all so excited to unbox the language arts kit! So many fun goodies were included that really do make learning fun! See our unboxing video of both kits here.
We started with Play-Doh (you know how much we LOVE our playdough activities!) and practiced the letter c. What a great way to practice letters!
Next, we moved on to the Funny Mix cards phonics game. The game teaches consonants, vowels, and three and four letter words. There are several different ways to play, including a matching game, detective game, create your own funny mixers, go mix (just like “go fish”), and a math matching game. All the games are really fun but the best part just might be that it doesn’t feel like work at all – to the child, it is just a fun card game! 🙂
We then moved on to the shape puzzles. I was very impressed with the quality of these as well. All three children (even Miss 16 months) worked on this lesson.
Still not sure if the Shiller Math or Language Arts curriculum is for you?
This product is for you if:
- You appreciate quality, well-made curriculum.
- You want to save money on your curriculum.
- You are looking for a curriculum that incorporates fun components that keep learning fun.
- You don’t want to spend extra time planning out daily lessons.
- You want a curriculum that can be used for multiple grades.
- You recognize that children have four primary learning styles (visual, auditory, tactile, and kinesthetic) and you want those incorporated into your lessons.
- You are looking for a curriculum that works for all children (ShillerLearning truly meets your child where they are and allows each student to work at his or her own pace using their specific abilities and knowledge to progress).
ShillerLearning also offers many other Montessori-based math and language arts kits for older students that we will definitely be using in the near future.
We also wanted to let you know that ShillerLearning has offered a 5% discount to our readers with code MOMS5OFF. To view all of their available kits (including full, basic, and virtual download – we reviewed the full kit), visit their shop here.
What do you think of ShillerLearning? Let us know in the comment section below.
Please pin this post to save it.
Want more? Be sure to check out some of our other fun activities:
- Make your own color wheel from rocks
- Watermelon playdough activity
- HABA palette of pegs: Open-ended play for kids
ShillerLearning provided their math and language arts kit to us in exchange for an honest review. As always, all thoughts are 100% our own. We would never recommend a product we would not personally use.